We have a thriving Sixth Form at Sir Graham Balfour School, which operates within the Stafford Sixth Form Partnership; we work closely with Weston Road Academy, King Edward VI, Blessed William Howard and Stafford Manor High School to provide our students with a wide range of high quality, advanced courses.
Within the Sixth Form at Sir Graham Balfour School each student has an Academic Mentor, whose main focus is to guide students successfully through their next two years. They will discuss academic progress and concerns, as well as help with issues such as organisational difficulties and study skills. Each student will be set an appointment with his or her Academic Mentor each half term.
In the Sixth Form we also run Enrichment once a week. Students take part in a variety of activities to help them with careers, financial awareness, applications for employment/university etc. We will also run sessions to help students identify their particular learning styles and the strategies they can use in order to aid their learning. We participate in Young Enterprise and are about to offer Duke of Edinburgh schemes.
Each student’s attendance is closely monitored. If unauthorised/authorised attendance falls below 95% there will be a letter sent home, and if attendance falls below 92% parents will be contacted directly to make them aware of the absences and to help us address any problems the student may be experiencing.
Sixth Form students and their parents are asked to agree to the Stafford Sixth Form Partnership Behavioural Contract, which all the partner schools follow.
Choosing A Levels
At Sir Graham Balfour School we are proud to offer a wide range of courses suitable for all needs. Via our collaboration in the Stafford Sixth Form Partnership our students have access to a wide range of successful A level and level 3 vocational courses
It is important that students select the courses that are appropriate to their needs in terms of both their ability and their plans for the future. THE IMPORTANCE OF GATHERING INFORMATION IN ORDER TO MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS CANNOT BE OVER EMPHASISED.
Courses on offer in the Sixth Form
There are two different groups of courses:
Advanced Courses ('A' Levels)
- 'A' Levels are based on a specific and detailed subject content, e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Geography, etc. and are two year courses. We do not sit AS exams at the end of Year 12.
- Please see the Prospectus for entry requirements for each subject studied.
- Most students will be guided to study 3 A levels. Only in exceptional circumstances do Universities demand 4. If in doubt, please see Mr Hancock.
BTEC National Certificate
- These are taken over 2 years and are equal to 2 ‘A’ Levels.
- You must have at least four GCSEs at Grade 4 or above.
- The courses are based on a vocation, for example Health, Business, etc.
- Level 3 BTEC courses satisfy many university entry requirements.